Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Telling Mama

From the moment I told Rob, the next big decision to make was when to tell the parents. I know the general rule of thumb is to wait 3 months until you are in the so-called safety zone, where your risk of miscarriage drops drastically, but being that this was my first baby, and the fact that I never keep anything from my mother, we decided to tell her sooner rather than later.

Having found out on the Monday, my mom and step dad were already scheduled to come to our place on Friday for dinner. We thought they way they found out should be memorable. Having batted a few ideas back and froth we finally settled on putting the 2 first response tests inside a necklace jewelery box and presenting it to her as though he was receiving a gift for no particular reason.

When Mom arrived, and after the customary hellos, I told her I had something for her and handed her the box. I retreated to the kitchen because I couldn't watch. She opened the box and I heard nothing.... complete silence for at least 30 seconds, then her jaw dropped and tears filled her eyes and she came and gave me a hug.

Needless to say, she was thrilled. The conversation for the evening turned to talk of due dates and symptoms and plans for the baby's room. My mom has thought of this moment many times throughout my life, the time when her baby would be having a baby. I am very close to my mom and know that she will be there for me for anything I need. We made arrangements for her to attend my midwife appointment with me the following week as Rob couldn't get the day off work. I am really happy to be close enough in distance for her to come shopping with me and be there at the hospital when the baby is born and for any and every moment or hiccup in between.