Sunday, February 13, 2011

Post pregnancy pitfalls

Nobody ever tells you how much pain you will be in after you give birth. You hear all about how tired you will be because they baby doesn't sleep, and how you're life in general changes, but the mother is often over looked once the baby arrives. Its almost as though its a taboo topic, too personal, which is funny because giving birth is about as intimate as you can get.

I definitely wasn't prepared for stitches in my lady regions to be so sore that i'd rather stand all day then attempt to sit down. I walk at a pace that is so slow turtles could pass me and trying to get in and out of a vehicle has never been more difficult. At almost a week post delivery I can finally sit down in the bathtub without asking for help getting back up. I know its only a few more days before things get better down there but its been a difficult week.

Then there is the sore nipples. I now completely understand women who say breast feeding too difficult or try it and quit within a week or two. It is a challenge. Lucky for Ali I don't give up easy. I know the benefits of breastfeeding will far exceed the temporary discomfort I'm feeling and the every time it does indeed get a little easier. Its a learning curve for both Ali and I, but by next week I'm sure her and I will be pros.

The last pitfall I am experiencing I know not every woman does. Because my water broke more than 24 hours before I delivered Ali, they had to constantly pump me full of fluid to keep things hydrated. Little did I know (and no nurse ever mentioned it) my entire body would remain water logged for weeks. My feet, ankles, toes, calves, knees, and basically everything below my belly button is swollen to two or three times its original size. I have sausages for toes and my once tiny ankles are now referred to as the dreaded cankles. When Ali had her first doctor's appointment I asked my GP if there was anything I could do about it and he said "Nope. It'll go away eventually in a few weeks". I stared at him blankly just thinking "WEEKS"..... I tell ya, its a good thing I own a lot of flip flops because that's the only footwear that fits currently.

Aside from the few pitfalls that make the days slightly more difficult, being a mother is everything I hoped it would be and more. Its amazing how quickly you can fall in love with such a tiny little person. She is perfection in my eyes. Its hard to believe that a week ago she was in my tummy! In hindsight, the 9 months seemed to fly by even though while I was waiting for her it seemed to drag and drag. Life will literally never be the same, and I couldn't be happier! .